Did you know?

8 months

 

- an average length of a custodial sentence for a possession of a knife or offensive weapon 

All prison population - sentenced serious offenders by length of sentence 2015- 2019

Brief facts

  1. In 2018, 53 children aged 10 or 11 were cautioned or convicted for knife crime, according to the Ministry of Justice figures.

  2. In the year ending September 2019 the CJS dealt with the highest number of knife and offensive weapon offences since September 2009. 

  3. The average custodial sentence for offenders sentenced to immediate custody with 101+ previous convictions was 3.3 months (2018).

  4. For a period of 1 Jan 2019 to 31 March 2019 there were a total of 6,168 recalls. 59% of those were recalled to serve the rest of their sentence, and 41% were fixed term recall of 28 days.

59%

of recalls in the 3 months between 1 Jan and 31 Mar 2019 were to the end of the offenders' sentence.

©2020 by Restore Justice